Friday, November 1, 2013

5 Marathon Day in San Jose - Sunday Oct 14 2007


Hotel Montgomery, originally uploaded by wellingtonrabbit.

San Jose is a fun, lively town and downtown redevelopment has worked out well. There is a central park and lots of clean open walk throughs lined with trees, flowers and fountains. It reminds me a lot of Minneapolis but much smaller and more intimate.

The race actually ended at the park and started close by. It was a giant serpentine 13.1 mile loop and the weather could not have been better. Alas, it was only a so so running day for me and so my finish time was a dismal 3:31. But finish I did and it was a strong finish as I always save too much for the end but it sure is fun to sprint willingly across the finish.

Donny stayed with me even after we got separated at one water stop and I wasn't sure whether he was ahead or behind me but I was not worried about him. He caught up with me about 3 miles later and would not go on. He wanted to be sure I finished. I was running/walking but it was very sluggish, just over all malaise, nothing in particular. And I did get a good night's sleep too!

The fun part was that as a potential rock star I had a special bib as we all did. The color was different, we were yellow, elites were red and regulars were white. So all along the trail folks were waving and greeting the rock stars.

And at the finish the announcer called me by first name as I approached the final mat and said I was now a...Rock Star!!

No comments:

Post a Comment